'Creation of Adam'


Some students may have noticed I have been struggling quite a bit trying to adjust the volume of the music playing off my iPad Mini during class.  With my finger tips, if I direct the volume to lower, it gets louder.  If I direct the volume to be higher, it gets lower.  Feeling my frustration, a dear teacher Martha said to me after class one day, “It takes time to develop the sensitivity in your fingertips to get the volume to where you want it to be.  And it also takes some time for the iPad to get sensitized to your touch.”

Later I kept replaying what she said in my head – “It takes time to develop the sensitivity in your fingertips to get the volume to where you want it to be.  And it also takes some time for the iPad to get sensitized to your touch.”

I realized then that I was receiving my very first teaching from Technology:  that I couldn’t just will an outcome, but that I had to become sensitive to bring about that outcome.  And eventually with time, the universe would get sensitized to my touch, to perhaps then collaborate.




This felt very familiar and similar to the frequent suggestion that we can’t just pray to Creation for an outcome.  But rather we have to become instruments of Creation to realize an outcome.



After Thought:

Sometimes we believe that we can simply will or even force ourselves into a Yoga Asana. With time we uncover that it is only by means of conscious breathing, bringing conscious awareness to all parts of the body (finger tips to toe tips!), becoming sensitive to the reaches of the energy that is in the body & around the body, becoming sensitive to all of life, that we come to the full expression of any yoga posture; that we come into full expression of ourselves. 


Comments

  1. From Your iPad to You to Us. Technicrebale teaching. Thank You Jaggi.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment