Modifying Search Paramaters


In preparing for my time away this month as a mentor at the Jivamukti Teacher Training at the Omega Institute,  I was reminded by a fellow teacher of the large segments of time spent sitting for lectures and how it helps to have something supportive to sit on.

I went online and I put in a search for seat cushion.  The search results produced orthopedic foam cushions that are ideal for office chairs or car seats but not so much for sitting on the floor.  I modified my search instead for a floor cushion.  Now the search results pulled up what were more decorative type floor cushions.  I then attempted a search for meditation cushion.  While ideal for sitting on the floor, they seemed heavy to carry back & forth every day to the lecture hall.  Finally I altered my search for a meditation bench….





In this manner, my search parameters produced certain search results.  As I modified my search parameters, the results were also modified.  Based on the search parameters the results were either narrowed or expanded.

The teachings and practices of Yoga remind us that based on the search parameters we set for ourselves in our life, the search results will also be narrowed or expanded.  That if we limit our search of ourselves to what the body can do or desires, what the mind can do or desires, the results will be limited.  The practices of Yoga & meditation, try to widen our search parameters to a more expanded experience of ourselves, to explore and witness what lies beyond just this body and just this mind.


Comments