TEXT STOP Ahead

The other day I stepped off the subway train at 68th St Hunter College on my way to an appointment.  It was early morning rush hour with what seemed like an endless number of people getting off the train making their way to the same exit.  Immediately I felt myself get in the mode of trying to maneuver my way ahead of the person in front me, with such thoughts passing through my mind as “Why are they walking so slow? You are going to check your text messages now?? You are going to stop right here right now to tie your shoe lace?”




Then as I was cutting to the left, to the right, to the front, like a race car driver, I noticed this one person ahead walking to the left of me.  She was walking leisurely with a great calm, an amicable disposition, unruffled.  You could tell by her attire that she too was on her way to work.  But she was not rushed, instead full of grace and poise.  She was even giving way to the person to the side of her, "Please after you…"   Observing her I felt myself slow down thinking “WAIT.  That’s how I want to move in the world.  Not like this!!  Not all wound up and entangled that I become critical of those around me.  THAT, that’s how I want to move in the world.  With that freedom even in the movement of my thoughts towards others.”


Often we have that experience even on our Yoga mat.  We may find ourselves rushing in our practice. Critical of ourselves and maybe even those around us.  Heavy with each step we take.  Feeling like we are somehow falling behind or can't quite keep up with everyone else.  Then we notice this person practicing alongside of us.  We notice them moving on their mat with grace, poise, focus, agility, weightlessness, delight.  We tell ourselves “Wait! That’s how I want to move in my practice.  Wait……..THAT's how I want to move in the world.”


Further:

At first we move in our Yoga Asana practice using just our physical muscular body, without also using our more subtle energetic body.  This frequently manifests in the thumping of feet when we step or jump forward, a feeling of heaviness in the body, even a general anxiousness/distractedness in our practice, etc.  Our body is going one way and our attention, with it our energy, even our intention is going another way.

This may lend our range of movement to be limited. We can see our potential within our reach, while also feeling ourselves held back.  Here the practices of Yoga provide us certain tools (i.e. Ujjayi Breath, Bandhas, Intention) by which,  as our awareness gets pulled into our energetic body, immediately an alignment is created between where the body is going and where our energy is going.  In many ways we consolidate our resources, experiencing a fluidity in our movement and awareness.


This alignment can become the source of all movement on and off our yoga mat.  'Where the mind goes that's where our energy flows.'



Comments

Post a Comment